Monday, August 2, 2010

Oxford Misleading


I have an odd relationship with Oxford. I'm familiar with the schools and dynamics from Lewis and Dorothy L Sayer's Gaudy Night . I don't know the history but I feel like I know the people and atmosphere. Oxford shows up in books that are set in all different time periods; I think I most recently read a mystery where one of the suspects was an Oxford student and it's set in the mid-1800s. Oxford reminds me a bit of Madison actually; the University is an large but somewhat separate part of the town. University society definitely affects town life but they aren't necessarily the same. On top of that, Oxford is a huge draw for tourists. A ridiculous draw for tourists. So far the only place I've seen match lines for Christ Church is Disneyworld and the Tower of London.


There is something impressive and awesome about touring a university that has been around since 1215. We were walking on ground that millions of scholars have walked through before and that makes it seem a bit sacred, even though that isn't the appropriate term for it. I liked walking through the gardens of Christ Church that has a view Magdaline College (which is actually older than Christ Church) and it makes me feel like a scholar. I would love to study in their libraries because there is so much history of study there. That's not saying that they have always been progressive or amazing; scholars often live up to the rumor of being stuffy. Nonetheless, it does feel different, almost encouraging to be able to study in a place thats been devouted to studying for at least 800 years.

That feeling, for me, is somewhat temporary. Its awesome but not permanent. Oxford will always been connected with an idea that is rather contrary to what I've just described. Dorothy Sayers observes, via her characters Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane while punting on the Thames, that you can't hide within hallowed University halls forever. College or University, particularly when you're young, is a short and blissful time span that is rarely regained. Even if you return for post-graduate education, its never quite the same. Those halls that seemed so impenetrable when you were 20 are actually very permeable and I came to find, like Sayers' characters, that the real world seeps in regardless. For me, in Wisconsin, it comes in the form of healthcare insurance and part-time work. For Sayers' characters, it displays itself in hatred and ignorance of a system that the criminal has. THere was something about going to Oxford and seeing it truly as a tourist attraction, very few students, that stuck this point home. THere are tours for future students at my University, but there are never thousands of people trying to get in to see a College. Oxford is a beautiful and special place but I'm not sure if its as hallowed and protected as maybe once thought.
But I did enjoy myself. The history was enthralling, the town was relaxing and everyone was very nice. Even the tour guide who teased me about my umbrella and my questions... but it wouldn't be a true trip to England without dry British humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment